It's Mom's first official photo shoot! (click on pics to supersize)
But first, let me tell you how I finished the blouse. I took roughly 1-1/2" off the front neckline.
Thinking I'd skip a collar, I added a simple, elegant bias band.
But on my mother, this neckline looked boring and a little stiff, so I removed it and added a standard collar band and collar. I am so glad I did. I think it looks very sporty on her.
|Cotton floral fabric from Metro Textiles|
I added vintage yellow plastic buttons from my stash and, rather than add cuffs, I finished the sleeves with a 1-1/4" topstitched hem at about 3/4 length, which is where she likes her sleeves to fall.
I'm very happy I raised the back neckline. It fits her nicely and there's no pulling.
Rather than use the sleeve that came with the pattern (Simplicity 2339), I created a sleeve shaped similarly to a two-piece jacket sleeve (with the seam toward the back rather than lining up with the side seam). This gives her more ease in back where she needs it and less in front where she doesn't.
She wanted a little extra fullness in the back, so I added 1" of width and eased it into the yoke.
She didn't want any shaping so I left out the fish-eye darts in front and back that are part of the pattern. The blouse is slightly shapeless imo, but hey, she's the client! And the colors are splendid.
I will continue to refine this pattern so it fits even better next time. But she's happy, which is always nice when you're sewing for someone else.
Have a great day, everybody!