Jun 13, 2013
Readers, do you remember how last summer I made myself a linen shirt with the pink linen pictured above?
It was a rather droopy, medium weight linen, and the shirt I made with it is one of my favorites -- especially because it requires only minimal ironing: I wear it somewhat wrinkly.
You may also recall that last week when I bought my cotton madras, I also bought a couple of yards of a very different sort of pink linen. This one is slightly sheer, and where last year's linen was droopy, this one has a much crisper hand. It's also very pale.
Today I started making a shirt with it, to wear with my madras shorts. I mixed sewing patterns, using my standard Butterick for the main body of the shirt, but adapting the sleeve from Vogue 8889, which has a higher sleeve cap, which results in a slightly more fitted sleeve.
I also widened my shoulder yoke an inch (and shortened the back accordingly).
I'm sewing this shirt on my Singer 15-91; the Bernina is taking a break.
Unlike with the madras shirt, this time I decided to make real flat-felled seams at the shoulders instead of fake ones. It's a bit more work to trim the seams and fold them over, but since the shirt is slightly sheer, you do see the seams.
I still have to add the collar stand and collar, buttonholes, etc., but it's coming along smoothly. I hope to finish it tomorrow.
In other news, our apartment has regained some semblance of order; this phase (the second of three) of our construction project is winding down.
And this week our CSA (short for "Community Supported Agriculture") has begun -- farm-fresh vegetables (and soon fruit) from now until Thanksgiving!
I hope your sewing is going well, friends, and don't forget the salads.