Friends, the rumors are true: our Third Annual MPB Day is Saturday, August 10th!
Here's what's planned:
1. We'll meet outside the Fashion Institute of Technology Museum entrance at Seventh Avenue and 27th Street at 11 am. See that sculpture below? That's the place! (Directions here.)
From 11 am to noon we will catch the very lovely RetroSpective exhibit currently showing there. (Admission is free.)
2. After the museum, we'll grab a healthful lunch one block north at Panera Bread between 28th & 29th Streets -- plentiful seating and clean restrooms! We'll be there till approximately 1 pm for those who wish to skip the museum and meet us for lunch.
3. Following lunch we'll wend our way approximately ten blocks north to the heart of the Garment Center (also called the Fashion District), where we'll shop, shop, shop! We'll be visiting some of our
favorite fabric and notions stores, including Mood*, Paron's, Sil
Thread, Pacific Trim, Chic Fabric, and Around the World Books. If
there's a store you especially want included, please
let me know!
*Meg over at Mood has arranged for MPB Day participants to get a 10% discount and a free Mood tote bag!
4. We'll shop away the afternoon and perhaps grab a quick pick-me-up at the cafe in the Japanese bookstore, Kinokuniya (Japanese pattern books galore + yummy snacks and drinks), on Sixth Avenue near 42nd Street.
4) Finally, we'll all meet up in Bryant Park, where we'll quench our thirst, rest our weary pins, and drift off as needed.
Expect the day to wind up around 5 - 5:30 pm.
Early Bird Special!
As in years past, those hearty souls who wish to start their MPB Day earlier can meet me at the 25th
Street entrance to the Chelsea Flea Market at 9:30 am and spend an hour
or so hunting for treasures.
We'll meet outside The Garage, just west
of the southwest corner of Sixth Avenue and 25th Street.
MPB Day is a free event, but you'll probably want to bring some $$ for food and fabric. A bottle of water is highly recommended!
I'll be reminding you as we get closer to the date, but please RSVP by sending me an email at peterlappinnyc at gmail dot com, so I have an idea of who's coming (and how many yards of purple corduroy to package).
If you know you'll be joining us at the museum, the flea market, or Panera Bread, please let me know that too.
NOTE - This is a rain or shine event. In the event of earthquake, check the blog.
You can read about previous MPB Dayshere and here. Hope you can make it!
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage sewing machines and vintage patterns, in addition to sewing for private clients. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!