Friends, remember this, from just two days ago?
Well feast your eyes on this!
Sure, a few spots remain, but it's a whole lot better.
What was that crud-like build up on my iron exactly? I'm not entirely sure. Even though I never iron fusible interfacing wrong-side-up, my hunch is that some of it is fusible adhesive, some of it is minerals from my water, and some of it is sizing or other similar finishes on the fabric I sew with. Any other suggestions?
I tried a few cleaning methods: regular fine salt, coarse salt, and baking soda (I won't use chemicals) and I had the most success with the baking soda (made into a paste by adding a bit of water and rubbing it into the cold iron with a cloth, really hard). This time I was careful not to get the baking soda in the steam holes.
The salt method, which according to what I read online you do by pouring a tablespoon of salt onto a towel, turning up your iron to the highest setting with the steam off, and ironing the salt granules, didn't work too well for me. It's a time-tested method so I must have been doing something wrong. My first attempt I used fine salt, then I tried coarse salt but it didn't make much of a difference.
Anyway, my iron is clean again, which is good, as I have a lot of pressing to do to finish this jacket. I somehow forgot how much work is involved in making a jacket, especially a lined jacket. That's right: what was originally just a muslin for my gray cotton-mohair suit is now a full-fledged sewing project!
I have already performed the "turn of the cloth" -- flipping the facings and upper collar to the outside of the jacket, which came out pretty well. Of course when you first flip it there's always that moment of panic since it initially looks like a mess and will need a lot of careful pressing.
This (which isn't half bad to begin with, I must say)...
Soon looked like this:
The back of the jacket will be only half-lined, but I'll have full side and sleeve linings. Right now I've pinned a sleeve, which I'll have to hand-baste in.
Since this cotton-poly sheet does not ease at all, all the extra ease in the sleeve cap has to be eliminated. I do this very intuitively: I pin the sleeve in the armscye from the inside, edging in the excess sleeve cap height until the sleeve sits smoothly in the armhole. I then try on the jacket and see how it all looks, making sure the sleeve retains sufficient mobility. I've done this before and it works for me.
I hope to have the sleeves attached and all the lining in place tomorrow but we'll see. What is certain is that I am obsessed with this vintage bed sheet!
Have a great day, everybody!