You knew I was making a jacket to match those pants, right?
Fortunately my double flat sheet is large enough for both garments. Is a double the same as a twin or a queen? Anyway, it is -- well, was -- a big sheet.
Of course, when you're making a blazer, cutting your fabric is the easy part. That's basically what I've accomplished so far, along with interfacing my jacket fronts (with fusible of course) and front facings, and sewing my sleeves.
I'm using interfacing remnants I have around -- a black weft-weight from Mood, and some white weft-weight from Steinlauf & Stoller that's somewhat more delicate. Neither shows through on the outside, which is why I'm mixing them; I didn't have enough of either one to do the entire job.
So far no glitches. Tomorrow I'll do my welt pockets: there are four in all: outer breast, inner breast, and two large outer pockets. All three outer pockets have flaps, so that should keep me busy most of the day.
I also intend to line the jacket, which will be good practice for my gray suit jacket. This whole exercise is really a practice run for that project, which I am aiming to have finished by the third week of April.
I've used this pattern before (Simplicity 8368) to make my blue linen jacket. I'd like this jacket to have a more natural shoulder. The linen was so droopy that I needed slightly larger shoulder pads to keep the right shoulder in particular from visibly sagging in back. The muslin didn't have that problem so I don't know if it was the linen itself, the additional weight of a back stay, or the lining. I do tend to hold my right shoulder slightly lower than my left but not that much.
|With the shoulder pads.|
|Without the shoulder pads.|
So that's where things stand as of today. We'll see if I can get through this by week's end. I'm anxious to get the gray suit started.
Hope your sewing is going well. We had snow flurries today if you can believe it -- hope you're having a springier spring that we are (so far).
Happy Monday, everybody!