Readers, I just finished the undershirt from my 1941 McCall's pattern (4474). It's the first woven undershirt I've ever made. I like it!
I can definitely imagine wearing a shirt like this regularly. And it's always nice to match the pattern envelope.
The undershirt went together without incident except for the bias "underfacing" on the armholes. I had to stitch that down by hand and it still doesn't lie completely flat. I may try again with narrower strips.
P.M. UPDATE: I ended up removing the underfacings altogether and simply turning the remaining 1/8" seam allowance under and edgestitching. It's looks and feels sufficiently finished and shouldn't fray since the armhole edges are rounded.
I made the shirt from a beautiful white shirting remnant left over from a long-ago shirt project. You don't need much since there aren't any sleeves. I took 2" off the overall length and narrowed the sides by 1/2". I also deepened the armhole a tad.
I used my fashion fabric for interfacing, which felt more period appropriate than fusible, and chose vintage plastic buttons that have a pinkish cast.
The shirt is very comfortable and cool.
Oh, and great news! I've worn my new boxers all day under my regular jeans and, much to my surprise, they feel just fine: no excessive bagginess or creep. I think the gathers look bunchier in photos (which accentuate shadows) than they really are, and they flatten with wearing. A dirndl skirt this is not.
In closing, friends, I am very happy with my new old underwear. If only I could really play the ukelele.
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage sewing machines and vintage patterns, in addition to sewing for private clients. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!