Readers, I finished the jacket muslin. (I skipped the pockets for now.)
Here it is on me...
Given that this is just a cotton sheet with no interfacing, lining, back stay or shoulder pads, I think it looks good. I didn't hem it and since this could even work as the finished length, I may lengthen everything by an inch or two so I have something to turn up. Or not.
I referred a few times to my book, Tailoring, since I'd forgotten how to distinguish the under collar from the over collar. (The under collar is cut on the bias it seems). It would be very useful to be able to read Japanese right now.
I'm glad I made the size Medium. I think with the lining, especially, it's going to be a slim fit, which is my preference, especially since it's double-breasted. Actually, I might experiment with nipping in the waist a touch to give it more shape.
I'll probably make a sample welt pocket (or two) this weekend just to familiarize myself with the pattern pieces.
Here's the way the finished jacket is supposed to look.
And that's it! I'm ready for a break or, the next best thing, a dog walk.
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage sewing machines and vintage patterns, in addition to sewing for private clients. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!