Readers, be honest: do you think this McCall's pattern I just purchased, which dates from approximately 1957, is too Sixteen Going on Seventeen for my cousin Cathy?
Perhaps you are wondering how old Cathy is, anyway. I believe a woman is only as old as she looks, which means Cathy is a still-dewy 28. Who just guffawed!?
I also picked up this Vogue men's pattern:
So why do I still purchase so many patterns when many of them would be easy enough to draft (especially the men's patterns)? Friends, I like patterns. No, I love patterns. Even if I could draft the exact same thing myself, I love the artwork and the sense of connecting with the history of home sewing, do you know what I mean?
In pea coat news, today was all about my two front double welt pockets.
First I sketched each pocket on the wrong side of each front with colored pencil. (A dart goes through them so one side had to be retraced a bit.)
Next, I stitched around the entire rectangle from the wrong side, with easy-to-see thread in my bobbin.
I interfaced the whole area -- probably unnecessary, but it couldn't hurt -- with a strip of fusible interfacing.
The rectangle is 1" wide, so each exposed welt has to be 1/2" wide when turned under. I cut 2" pieces for my welts, folded them in half (so they were now 1" wide) and stitched the edges closed at 1/4." Then, using my straight stitch foot, I attached them by stitching over the visible blue stitch line at 1/4" from the 1/4" stitch line on the welt (leaving the 1/2" for each exposed welt). Does that make sense?
On top of the lower welt, I attached the side of the pocket that will come in contact with the wrong side of the coat (and will be turned under along with the welts).
Then I cut open the rectangle and turned the welts and pocket through the cut; I'm sure most of you know the routine. After that, any blue thread that was visible got pulled out.
Next I added the other side of the pocket, the one that has the facing, by attaching it to the other turned-under welt (the two pocket layers are still not attached to each other).
Then I carefully topstitched around the whole pocket, being careful that I didn't stitch the entire pocket closed while I topstitched, and also added an additional frame of decorative topstitching (as per the pattern). Tomorrow I will stitch the two sides of the pocket together.
The pockets could still use a light pressing, but currently they look like this:
And that was my sewing day!
Tomorrow I hope to attach the back to the fronts, as well as the undercollar. If there's time, I might cut my lining; we'll see.
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage sewing machines and vintage patterns, in addition to sewing for private clients. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!