As you can see up top, I decided to add contrasting gingham trim to the boxers I'm making, using scraps left over from my very first sewing project (which, coincidentally, happened to be a pair of boxers, though much less fancy than these).
I cut up the scraps to make bias tape, 1 1/4" wide.
As planned, I cut the piece that includes the right fly extension an extra inch or so wide.
From the inside, I folded the outside edge over 1/4", and then folded the whole extension in half.
I folded up the bottom edge to form a triangle, almost like origami. I then folded this edge down.
It completely covers the left fly facing (which I also folded under to form a similar straight diagonal edge) when the front centers are matched, as per the pattern markings.
I'm basically copying the way the fly is made on my Jockeys.
Stitched, from the outside, it looks like this:
The two front sides as well as the front and back were attached with flat-felled seams.
The outer seams are encased in the bias tape.
Tomorrow I'll add the elastic waistband. It's amazing how long it can take to make something as basic as underwear, but that's the way it is.
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage sewing machines and vintage patterns, in addition to sewing for private clients. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!