The parka project has commenced.
A few changes since my last post:
I've switched fabrics once again. Instead of the plaid I showed you Sunday, the outside of the parka will be this water-repellant, coated cadet blue cotton:
I decided against the plaid because, after looking online at a lot of photos of raglan-sleeve plaid garments, I realized I wasn't crazy about how they look -- too busy. Also, I didn't have enough fabric for all the plaid matching the garment would require. I switched my inside fabric too, to this gray cotton, also somewhat water repellant as you can see below.
If I love how the jacket turns out, I can make it again in heavier fabrics down the line. This version is going to be quite lightweight.
Yesterday I bought most of my notions and cut my outer fabric. The notions are mainly from Daytona Trim and Sil Thread.
Today I started on the lower pockets. These are actually double pockets: flap pockets (with velcro closures) on the outside, and "handwarmer" pockets with a "curved hand entry area" underneath.
I still have to attach the pockets to the jacket fronts and stitch the bottom velcro pieces on. These flap pockets are likely going to remain closed most of the time, so I'm not too concerned about velcro-related mishaps.
I'll likely add the top vertical zipper pockets before I attach these lower pockets, in case I mess up the zipper pockets and need to cut new fronts. Hopefully that won't happen.
A lot of work to do in the days ahead.
Finally, my self-healing mat of many years seems to have received a mortal wound. I think I backed a chair onto it and sat down on the chair. I recommend not doing that.
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage sewing machines and vintage patterns, in addition to sewing for private clients. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!