May 26, 2013
Friends, this is a holiday weekend here in the USA, and since I just finished a big project, I'm more or less in rest and recovery mode. But that doesn't mean all work has stopped!
Realizing that I'm going to be using my Bernina 930 regularly and therefore leaving her out permanently, I needed to make some sort of dust cover for her. As you know, I have a large bin full of fabric remnants, and I chose this quilt-weight cotton I used a year and a half ago to make that Burda dress for Leah.
I didn't use a pattern, but rather just measured the approximate height, width, and depth of the machine and cut my pieces accordingly. Then I stitched it up (on the Bernina, of course). Nothing fancy: I pinked my seam allowances and added some embroidery stitches at the bottom for fun.
I wouldn't call it gorgeous but it does the job.
Moving right along, I thought you might like to see a few details of Cathy's 40's silk dress close up: the side zipper, the front gathers, and the hem. I should have prick-stitched that zipper by hand, but (amazingly) I was able to attach it by machine; I might redo it if I feel inspired but it's not bad as-is.
Speaking of silk, at the flea market today, a vendor had a ton of gorgeous silk fabric -- taffeta, chiffon, beaded silk, georgette, you name it: he must have bought the contents of a small dressmaking business. I was overwhelmed, so I decided to purchase just one thing, well two: A plaid silk taffeta in pale yellow, gold, and, I think, black -- and a coordinating solid gold China silk. Not sure what I'll make with it all but I have roughly 3 1/2 yards of the plaid and at least that much of the solid.
Readers, I think that's it. I have a few small projects on deck I'll be sharing with you soon; otherwise I'm just lying low for the next few days.
For those of you enjoying the holiday weekend, have fun and be safe!
Labels: my life