I still have another day's work on this, readers, but I am liking this version of my Pendleton plaid shirt so much better.
As you can see, I've eliminated all those bias cut details from the first version: the button placket, the Western-style yokes, the cuffs, and the pockets. This pattern is loud enough -- you do not need to see it on the diagonal, at least not in front.
Here's the left front button placket:
When I look at old photos of the first version, I get motion sickness.
I am hoping to finish this tomorrow since I just have another cuff, collar, buttonholes, and hem to complete. But hey, it's no rush: I've waited three years to do this! As you can see below, I had a lot of extra fabric left, and I'm glad I kept it all this time. I ended up cutting new fronts, but re-using the old sleeves and back. (The old fronts became the cuffs; I feel very thrifty.)
I also salvaged all the vintage buttons of course, which I'll reuse on this new version.
Friends, that's all for today. I hope your sewing -- holiday-related or otherwise -- is going well.
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage sewing machines and vintage patterns, in addition to sewing for private clients. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!