I wasn't feeling much like sewing yesterday so I decided I'd do some ironing instead. I started with the vintage cotton floral fabric, freshly laundered, that I intended to use (eventually) to make Michael a shirt, most likely from Butterick 3995, one of the patterns I featured yesterday.
Since the iron was already hot, I decided to press my pattern pieces flat too.
Then, seeing as there weren't that many pieces, I decided to cut them out (the pattern, from 1957, was unused). Then I figured I might as well cut my fabric out too. I also replaced my rotary cutter blade -- second time ever.
Long story short, approximately ten hours later, I'd basically finished the shirt. (I hemmed it this morning.) Sometimes it really does help to "just put one foot in front of the other," like on Santa Claus is Coming to Town.
Compared to many shirt patterns, this one was easy, especially if you skip the front welt pocket (Are they kidding?). I generally don't put pockets on men's shirts, but if I did, I'd use a patch pocket and save myself a few precious hours.
This pattern is for a short-sleeved shirt, so there were no sleeve plackets. Furthermore, there's no front button placket (the shirt has fold-back facings), and no collar stand. In many ways it is similar to Colette's Negroni pattern. There's simply not that much that can go wrong.
Like Negroni, it even has a little button loop at the collar.
For a novelty cotton shirt like this, I skipped true flat-felled seams and serged or overcast my side and shoulder seams and stitched them down from the outside, to create the same look. The result is just as strong and way faster. I'll only fuss for a fancy dress shirt at this point.
This shirt has some cute vintage details you don't see anymore. I'm particularly fond of the shape of the back collar, which buttons down.
By the way, those buttons are vintage too, picked out by Michael from my button stash.
At the hemline, the front facings were stitched down before turning, and then the entire bottom hem simply pressed up. I then turned the top edge under 1/4" and edgestitched.
And that, friends, is the story of how I made Michael a shirt in just one day. Well, one day plus a half hour this morning.
I admit that unanticipated sewing success really does put me in a better mood; it shouldn't. It also earns me some points with Michael, so the next time we have a sink full of dirty dishes....
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage sewing machines and vintage patterns, in addition to sewing for private clients. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!