Readers, do you remember the African wax prints above, which I purchased more than a year ago in the Garment District, along with a third, which I turned into the shirt below (one of my summer favorites)?
I decided my last project of 2016 -- and first completed project of 2017 -- would be a new shirt made with one of my two remaining African prints. I chose the blue and yellow one. As you can see, laid flat (below), it's not the easiest print to work with. As much as I wanted to feature those spirals prominently, in the end they were simply too large and too target-like for my taste. I didn't want someone to throw a dart at my back or worse.
So I did what any of you would have done: I designed the shirt around the yellow stripes (which remind me of the Cat in the Hat's tail) and the blue areas.
This is the back of the shirt (so far). I did use part of a spiral in the yoke.
Here's how I used another spiral: I cut along the outside edge of the yellow lines with my serger to create long cascades. I experimented how I might place them on the shirt front. I like how they give the otherwise flat design some dimension.
I then ruffled the spirals. The result would have been perfect for a clown costume.
I intend to finish the shirt tomorrow and will share the result with you in the days ahead. I really enjoy the challenge of working with these vivid African prints, which are so very different from traditional shirting fabric.
In closing, I hope you all had a great New Year's and I look forward to lots of sewing adventures in 2017.
Have a great day, everybody!
|One of my many draping experiments with this fabric.|