Seems that way, but my calendar tells me that it's already time to announce our Sixth Annual MPB Day, scheduled for Saturday, August 13th, 2016!
As many of you know, MPB Day is a celebration of sewing, fashion, and most of all, fabric shopping. It's a chance for me to hang out with my favorite people, swap a few secondhand patterns, fabric shop, and kibbitz the day away!
Here's what's on the agenda:
1. We'll meet outside the Fashion Institute of Technology Museum entrance at Seventh Avenue and 27th Street at 11 am. See that sculpture below? That's the place! (Directions here.)
From 11 am to noon we will catch the wonderful Uniformity exhibit. Admission to the FIT museum is, happily, free!
2. After the museum, we'll grab lunch one block north at Panera Bread
between 28th & 29th Streets, where we'll also hold NYC's biggest summer pattern swap. We'll stay at Panera till approximately 1 pm for those who wish to
skip the museum and meet us there.
3. Following lunch we'll wend our way about ten blocks north to
the heart of the Garment District,
where we'll shop, shop, and shop some more. We'll be visiting excellent fabric and notions stores, including Mood, Paron's, Sil Thread,
Pacific Trim, Chic Fabric, and more. If there's a
store you especially want to visit, please
let me know.
4. We'll shop away the afternoon and perhaps grab a quick pick-me-up at the cafe in the Japanese bookstore, Kinokuniya (Japanese pattern books + snacks and drinks), on Sixth Avenue near 42nd Street.
5. Finally, we'll all meet up in Bryant Park, where we'll relax, display our purchases, and catch each other up on what's new in our lives.
Expect the day to wind up around 5 - 5:30 pm.
Early Bird Special!
As in years past, any morning people who wish to start their MPB Day earlier can join me at the outdoor Chelsea Flea Market at 9:30 am and spend an hour
or so hunting for treasures.
We'll meet outside Blue Dog Kitchen (a great place to grab a cup of coffee, btw), 101 West 25th St., just west
of the northwest corner of Sixth Avenue and 25th Street.
MPB Day is a free event, but you'll want to bring some $$ for
food and fabric. A bottle of water and some sunblock are highly
I'll be reminding everyone when we get closer to the date, but please RSVP by sending an email to me at peterlappinnyc at gmail dot com, so I can keep track of who's coming.
If you know you'll be joining us at the museum, the flea market, or Panera Bread, please let me know that too.
NOTE - MPB Day is a rain-or-shine event. If in doubt, check the blog or email me.
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage sewing machines and vintage patterns, in addition to sewing for private clients. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!