Ta da! -- My blue knit t-shirt with contrasting neckband.
I am so done with knit jersey, friends. At least for now. I'm perfectly satisfied with my new t-shirts and I intend to wear them. But the end result doesn't really merit the effort.
Here's my finished striped t-shirt.
I added a strip of knit to finish the bottom hem. I folded the band in half, serged the edge, and then stitched it to the hem with my sewing machine (I used my Kenmore 158.141 for this project).
Before I did that, however, I tried adding a strip of knit with the stripes going vertical, just to see. Hated it.
To finish the sleeves, I folded the hem up an inch or so, added a little fusible web to hold it in place, and then stitched all the way around.
With the remaining striped fabric I made myself a tank top. I trimmed all the edges with knit strips which I folded over and stitched down by stitching in the ditch.
Not liking the result, I decided to turn the trimmed edges under and topstitch.
The shirt came out OK, but I don't think I'll wear it much. I don't like snug tank tops. Unfortunately I didn't have enough fabric to cut it fuller.
Finally, I approached my blue knit jersey -- even thinner and harder to deal with than the stripe. I reinforced the shoulder seams with rayon seam binding this time (I'd used cotton twill on the striped shirt).
I interfaced the entire neckline with a weft-weight knit fusible cut on the bias (I think it's a knit).
I added the neckband the same way I had to the striped shirt, with one front edge overlapping the other. I had run out of my blue knit so I used a solid gray strip from my multicolored knit. I serged the raw edge of the neckband but stitched the band on my shirt with my regular sewing machine.
It came out well but it's a lot of work to get that V perfect, even with the neckline edge interfaced.
Instead of adding a band along the bottom, I folded the hem up an inch, pressed, topstitched, and then folded back the edge and serged -- it's sort of like a tuck on the wrong side of the fabric made with a serger. It looks like a separate band, but I didn't have to worry about matching lengths.
I did the sleeves the same way: folded up roughly one inch, topstitched, and then folded the hem back and serged along the stitching from the wrong side.
BTW, on the blue shirt, I used my regular sewing machine on the side and shoulder seams and got perfectly fine results. Even adjusting my serger's differential feed, it didn't do a great job with this taffy-like jersey and since these knits don't ravel, why bother?
Readers, that's it -- three knit jersey shirts, two of which I should get a lot of use out of.
In closing, many thanks for your excellent suggestions about dealing with knit jersey, sergers, etc. As many have said, every knit is a little different, so there's bound to be a lot of trial and error involved. As for me, I've had it with these thin knits. It is time to move on.
Happy Saturday, everybody!
After laundering the shirts, I noticed the neckline seam allowances don't dry flat, so I decided to topstitch around the neckline 1/4" from the edge to anchor the seam allowance in place. Otherwise I'd have to iron these shirts every time I wash them!
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage sewing machines and vintage patterns, in addition to sewing for private clients. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!