Readers, I finished my shorts! It took most of the day, but I finished them.
I know it's not quite the 70's teen idol look we were hoping for, but I love them anyway.
All the pockets and fly facings are lined with that flowered cotton shirting from yesterday's boxers. I simply stitched lining and corduroy right sides together, and turned them right side out. The pockets were then edgestitched (and topstitched) on. The tightly woven shirting also helps to stabilize the pockets, as the corduroy has a bit of stretch width-wise.
The zipper went on without problems. Here I am stitching it to the facing.
A very clean result.
Most of my seams were flat-felled. Corduroy sometimes makes ugly flat-felled seams but the nap of this corduroy is so thin it's not a problem. The outside seams were stitched and then serged. BTW, I never baste flat-felled seams. If I can't iron them (corduroy doesn't iron well), I use pins and finger press.
To make the waistband, I turned the top under two inches (first hemming the top 1/4" first, of course)
The back waistband has elastic in it.
Pulling the elastic taut, I added three parallel lines of stitching along the back waistband.
I decided on the longer leg length, so I hemmed less than one inch.
I added a buttonhole at the top and sewed on a brass shank button. I also added a back pocket that's also lined with shirting.
I am very happy with the result, folks -- very comfy and super soft. It wasn't hard, but it was a fair amount of exacting work. As you can see, they're very close to the original.
Thank you for all your feedback regarding shorts length the other day. These are the length I find most comfortable -- in fact, I already wore them outside and nobody gawked -- at least not to my face.
I'm a native New Yorker and sewing fanatic! I started sewing in 2009 and today make all my own clothes using vintage patterns and vintage sewing machines. Welcome to the warm and whimsical world of Male Pattern Boldness, where the conversation is sewing, style, fashion, fabric, and more!